Saturday, March 26, 2011

City Snurf





When I first started experimenting with snurfing on old snowboards, I was living in the city. Every little hill was an opportunity to snurf, to try something different, to see how the board could be riden, to try surfing it and skating it. I really didn't know how it was going to perform. Should it be shorter? Fatter? Fins/No fins? Does the rope even matter?

These are some of the questions that I tried to figure out, all from a $10 Kemper snowboard I had picked up on ebay. In fact, I got stood up on Ebay trying to purchase some unique plastic snurfers from the 80's. Never got my money back. Learned something about trust, though.

Here are some pics of the first few snurf environments I was able to hit within walking distance of my house. There is terrain worth exploring everywhere. There is almost more snurf terrain than skate terrain due to the smoothing out effect of snow. snow can be built up into banks.

A run could conceivably be designed to make the most of the limitations and performance characteristics of a snurfer. A groomer with banks, jumps, snake-runs, rollers, etc.

Here's making the best of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment